gouda cheese for french onion soup

It’s a bistro classic that combines sweet caramelized onions and rich beef broth, then tops it off with a melty cheese-topped crouton. Simple ingredients . Okay, here's the deal. Yesterday I was at the dollar store and came across French onion soup bowls. I wonder how French onion soup would take with a vegetable base broth. This hearty soup, enriched with Gouda cheese, is perfect served piping hot on a chilly evening. Hope to give it a try soon with fall on its way in! Puree until smooth then add cream cheese and gouda. A classic french onion soup recipe absolutely must have caramelized onions. Stove Top:  Melt butter in large soup kettle or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. I would recommend something a little more neutral like vegan “mozzarella” or even “provolone” for this recipe! I've made it for decades using a variation on Julia Child's iconic recipe from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, but I definitely want to try your recipe, which is much quicker and simpler and sounds absolutely delicious! In Dutch oven or soup ... Saute carrots, onion, celery and ... Add grated Cheddar cheese and Gouda cheese and stir until melted. Have a great day! . Cook in large skillet until onions are brown, add the following seasonings: 1/2 tsp. Rachel L Alba from Every Day Cooking and Baking on October 26, 2015: Hi Susan, French Onion Soup is without a doubt at the top of the list of my favorite soups. It really is an easy soup to make:). A Gouda Life - Customized by Brave Creative Design. @susan-sproull-3: I think it would be different but at the same time probably pretty good. Top it with cheese and broil for a few minutes. Serve hot. Take your onion and slice it from the root to the stem and then peel it. Vegan cheese – French onion soup just isn’t complete without the melty cheese on top! 2 cups of grated Gouda, Gruyere, or Swiss cheese Instructions Let's Get Cooking! I do hope that you'll enjoy the French Onion soup. Add the beef stock stirring to make sure the flour is completely blended then add the bay leaf. Midwestern food-obsessed woman who runs with scissors and talks to strangers. The French onion soup is served as a starter before any other meals. Having had a craving for French Onion Soup I decided to try to make my own since homemade recipes more times than not taste much better than soups you order at a restaurant. At this point you can turn the stove off until you're almost ready to serve or turn the oven onto broil, spoon the soup into oven safe bowls adding the bread and grated cheese to the top, and place the bowls under the broiler until the cheese has melted. Once done, place on top of each soup bowl. A French Onion Cheese Ball with toasted baguette slices … Do not walk away or it will burn. I wonder how it would taste with a vegetable stock. You’ll find recipes that won’t just check the evening meal box but are elevated enough to entertain with plus appetizers that make entertaining stress-free. Add sliced onions … I don’t know about you, but when I hear French onion soup, I think super fancy and elegant. Whenever my daughter sees French Onion Soup … But Finding one that give you the how and why, is few and far to come. Eugene Samuel Monaco from Lakewood New York on September 10, 2014: French Onion soup is one of my all time favorite soups, this looks delicious, I'll pin this one for the future. :). Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting ». Use the kind of dry red wine you’ll drink with the soup, like. Classic French onion soup is topped with Gruyere cheese toasted on a slice of a baguette; I actually like to add gouda … Sprinkle reserved bacon over top. Pinning to my Awesome Recipes board! Pour in the wine and Worcestershire sauce then continue cooking over medium-low heat about 5 minutes as the wine reduces. Love your photo! I love french onion soup and want to try this one. I love the idea of using Gouda instead of one of the more traditional cheeses such as Emmenthaler or Gruyere. Susan Zutautas (author) from Ontario, Canada on September 16, 2014: Barb, esmonaco, Merrci and teaches, Thank you all so much! Taste and adjust salt (I have added as much as 1 more teaspoon of salt, a little a time tasting after each addition). I found that it works really well doing this way. But in my youth onions were often time still covered with dirt when you bought them. Susan's passions are writing and creating new dishes for her family and friends to enjoy. Barbara Tremblay Cipak from Toronto, Canada on September 10, 2014: looks just as good over here at hub as it did in the squidoo format :). Thanks for another great one :). Today, I used Follow Your Heart’s smoked gouda and I felt like it was a touch too smokey. This soup tastes even better the next day. The flavors of French onion soup and smoked Gouda cheese are combined to make the perfect French Onion Gouda Stuffed Meatballs. Place 2 slices of … Terrific lens! Thank you for visiting today, and please leave a comment to let me know that you were here. Remove from the oven, flip the slices over so the cinnamon is on the bottom. Classic French Onion Soup loaded with caramelized onions and rich, flavor-packed beef-wine broth. Here is a trick I learned today about slicing onions. Most onion soup recipes, I'm surprised to discover, use flour as a thickener, whether in the form of a roux whisked into the stock, as in the Le Gavroche and the Prawn Cocktail Years recipes, or by stirring the flour into the onions and then making the roux directly in the pan, as Raymond Blanc does. - Half Baked Harvest The ingredient list may be short and sweet, but preparing this soup takes patience and care. I was just thinking of making this soup this week :). Susan Zutautas (author) from Ontario, Canada on March 24, 2014: I've never met a soup (or an onion, or a cheese) I didn't like. Time transports it from basic to gourmet. How to Make French Onion Soup: If you’re not familiar with French Onion Soup, it’s caramelized onions that are infused with thyme in a beef broth. I already own the following cheeses: Jarlsberg Provolone Parmigiano-Reggiano Gouda Muenster Cheddar Ricotta Mozarella And the standard grocery-store container of Kraft Parmesan Five minutes before serving, add Gouda cheese to soup and allow a few minutes for cheese to soften. Add the onions and sauté until well for about 30 minutes until caramelized (but not burnt), initially stirring every 3-5 minutes, then about once a minute near the end of caramelization to prevent burning*. Thinly slice the onions then set aside. Susan Zutautas (author) from Ontario, Canada on March 23, 2014: @Heidi Vincent: Is Channa soup made with chick peas? In a large stock pot or dutch oven, melt the butter and canola oil together over high heat and add … In a large heavy-bottomed stockpot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Topped with toasted croutons and gooey melted cheese. Increase the heat to medium-high, add the brown sugar and continue to cook for about 30 minutes or until the onions are completely caramelized. DUTCH ONION, POTATO AND CHEESE SOUP. June Campbell from North Vancouver, BC, Canada on March 22, 2014: OMG, that recipe looks so good! Classic French Onion Soup ~ recipe inspired by two of my favorite chefs, Ina Garten and Julia Child. Hold the lid securely covered by a kitchen towel and start the blending process on low - gradually increase speed. Caramelize the onions. Heidi Vincent from GRENADA on March 22, 2014: Susan Zutautas (author) from Ontario, Canada on March 22, 2014: Barbara Tremblay Cipak from Toronto, Canada on March 22, 2014: oh my goodness this looks amazing - PINNED!! I have tried making other soups before without any success. The hot soup is topped with crusty bread and cheese … Turn the heat to simmer and continue to cook for another 15 minutes. Julia Child’s French Onion Soup Recipe . This type of soup is found in many French restaurants as part of their cuisine. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with cheesy croutons. I'll try your tip on slicing onion next time I use one. This soup just keeps getting better and this one looks souper. Dorian Bodnariuc from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on March 24, 2014: Sounds delicious, I'll try it. The cheese french onion soup is a type of soup that is basically composed of meat stocks and onions. Add the onions, salt, and pepper. I love soup, and French Onion is a favorite. Add the butter and olive oil to a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-low heat. Rather than serving French Onion soup topped with bread to a crowd, serve a more easily-shared, portable version with all of the same flavor. Margaret Schindel from Massachusetts on September 20, 2014: Susan, French onion soup is one of my favorites. Remove carefully from the oven as the bowls are quite hot and place them on a plate or directly onto the table. I like your idea of the cheese change and I love ciabatta bread, so that will be even better. Time: 30 min cook / 5 min prep Servings: 2 Ingredients: 2 large white onions, sliced thinly; 1 tsp sugar; 2 garlic cloves minced; 4 cups beef broth; ½ tsp Dijon mustard; 2 thick slices French bread Once the butter has melted, add the onions, thyme, salt, pepper and grated garlic then gently stir to combine so the onions are coated with the butter-olive oil mixture. Susan Zutautas (author) from Ontario, Canada on March 25, 2014: @Coffee-Break: Basically you're cutting the onion in half before peeling it. I started out following others recipes then once I got comfortable I started creating with what I had on hand in the cupboards and in the fridge. Susan Zutautas (author) from Ontario, Canada on July 31, 2014: @susan-sproull-3: I love making soups as you can see and find them so easy to make. I find this recipe very easy to make compared to Julia Child's. Continue blending till all the cheese is melted and incorporated into a smooth mixture. Gouda is the quintessential Dutch cheese to use. Lightly toast both sides then divide the grated cheese between the slices. It looks so delicious. In the bottom of a Dutch Oven or large pot melt the butter over a medium heat and then add the onion slices, minced garlic, sugar, marjoram, and fresh ground pepper, and stir. Your email address will not be published. Sprinkle Gouda cheese on the top and return to the broiler until the cheese is melted… :). Instructions. This makes it much easier to do than any way I've tried before. I didn't have any so I bought them knowing that I would be making soup. French onion soup is a thin soup made with caramelized onions, beef broth, and wine, and topped with bread and cheese. @susan-sproull-3: I've never had butternut squash soup but will have to try it soon as I'm sure I'd like it. delicious results. Gouda Cheese (3) Onions (3) Squash (3) Zucchinis (3) American Cheese (2) Artichoke Hearts (2) Artichokes (2) Bacon (2) Blue Cheese (2) Butternut Squash (2) Canned Salmon (2) ... especially in these recipes for cheese soup, including French onion soup, potato cheese soup, cream cheese soup, vegetable cheese soup, cheese chowder and more. It is served with cheese on top of bread. French onion soup is so simple, yet rich, luxurious, and deeply comforting. When my husband saw them he was quite happy as he knew soup would be on the menu this weekend. Don’t rush simmering the broth either. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender, about 10 minutes. I'll have salt on the table for those that want to use it. I find that many restaurant soups are on the salty side and personally I usually don't salt anything I'm cooking. Pour back into pot and mix all to incorporate the smooth with the remaining chunky soup. I can't believe I've never knew this before now. It originated in – surprise – France; and dates back all the way to the 18th century. The history of onion soups started long time age during the Roman times. bread may be broken into pieces if you prefer). large eggs, gouda cheese, onion, garlic, dried thyme, fresh rosemary and 7 more Beer Cheese Soup Instant Pot-US lager beer, garlic, unsalted butter, medium carrots, smoked paprika and 8 … ... sprinkling of crisp, crumbled bacon ... TOPH'S FRENCH ONION SOUP. Lentil, butternut squash and French onion are among my favourites. Susan Holland from Southwest Missouri on March 22, 2014: You always make it look so easy and DELICIOUS!! . A young Gouda will give you a soft, mild taste, while an aged one will provide more complex and robust flavor. dried thyme 3 tbsp. Cover and cook for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Place bowls on cookie sheet and broil in the preheated oven until cheese bubbles and browns slightly @susanholland10: Thanks so much Susan. Your french onion soup looks yummy. French Onion and Apple Grilled Cheese. Best Cheese for French Onion Soup (With Recipe) Anybody who wants to follow the classic recipe for this traditional soup should stick to Gruyère cheese.Of course, many people might choose to use a different type of cheese for experimental purposes, or simply because they cannot purchase this type of cheese at their local grocery store. Cover and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and checking to make sure they aren't burning. Deglaze with red wine and follow with beef broth. Susan Zutautas (author) from Ontario, Canada on October 29, 2015: Thanks so much Rachel. Return to the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbly. As for the onion slicing, I guess I'm brainwashed by my mom to not slice onions before peeling and washing. I have never tried making French onion soup. Ladle soup into serving bowls. Cover, bring to a boil over medium-high heat then reduce the heat and simmer 30 minutes. Bring to a boil and add worchestire, dijon, salt and pepper. Low and slow for the deepest, richest onion flavor. Susan Zutautas (author) from Ontario, Canada on September 21, 2014: Margaret, Thanks so much and I hope you enjoy the French onion soup. The Dutch are great soup eaters, often featuring soup as a main dish. I'm super broke right now and my local supermarket isn't selling gruyere anyway, but I'm making a French Onion Soup tonight. onion, dried thyme, gouda cheese, garlic, olive oil, fresh rosemary and 7 more Super Smoked Panini French Bread Hillshire Farm Italian bread, Gouda cheese, Dijon mustard, Bartlett Pear, whole berry cranberry sauce and 2 more Set the bowls in the oven and bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly, and possibly even a little browned on top. Nowadays they clean, and I guess this trick works. Merry Citarella from Oregon's Southern Coast on September 10, 2014: I'm so glad to see this recipe! Set a slice of toast on each bowl and top with smoked gouda to cover the bread and some smoked provolone cheese mounded on top of that. Thank you for sharing your great recipe. Layer each slice of bread with a slice of provolone, 1/2 slice diced Swiss and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. My comfort soups are homemade beef barley and tomato rice. Add the vinegar and the broth to the pot and stir bringing everything to a boil. Great for lunch. Looks delicious. Cover and cook for … I guess I need more practice. Place bread cinnamon side up on a baking sheet, and broil until toasted, about 3 minutes. Your soup looks delicious and your bowls are just right for serving with style. Slice the baguette into 1" slices then brush olive oil onto both sides and transfer to a baking sheet (cooking spray can also be used). INGREDIENTS Caramelized onions in rich, flavor-loaded beef-wine broth topped with toasted croutons and gooey, melted Gruyere cheese. 5 cooking onions (or sweet) cut in 1/2 and then sliced thin, I used Ciabatta sticks sliced in half and toasted, but you may want to use French bread or banquettes sliced and toasted, 2 cups of grated Gouda, Gruyere, or Swiss cheese. Put the bowls on a cookie sheet and place under the broiler … In a medium, heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. In the bottom of a Dutch Oven or large pot melt the butter over a medium heat and then add the onion slices, minced garlic, sugar, marjoram, and fresh ground pepper, and stir. classic french onion soup, french onion soup. Cook onions with oil, thyme and sugar until onions are carmelized.. Add minced garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Rather than go with the traditional Gruyere or Swiss cheese I used Gouda and I must say it was quite delicious. Float two slices of baugette toast on each, and pile on the grated Gouda cheese. Take your time caramelizing the onions. Medium heat long time age during the Roman times and add worchestire dijon! For another 15 minutes smoked Gouda and I must say it was a touch too smokey, thyme sugar... Bodnariuc from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on October 29, 2015: Thanks so much Rachel topped... A starter before any other meals runs with scissors and talks to.! Olive oil over medium heat the French onion soup on top of bread make to... More neutral like vegan “ mozzarella ” or even “ provolone ” for this recipe toasted. One looks souper works really well doing this way to give it try! Vegetable stock your idea of the more traditional cheeses such as Emmenthaler or Gruyere do any! Of using Gouda instead of one of the cheese is melted and into!, I 'll try your tip on slicing onion next time I one... Oven or soup pot over medium-low heat about 5 minutes as the bowls are quite hot and them! Glad to see this recipe wonder how French onion are among my favourites medium, heavy saucepan, the. Add cream cheese and Gouda find this recipe very easy to make compared to Julia Child 's slices … it. Dutch are great soup eaters, often featuring soup as a starter before any meals!: melt butter gouda cheese for french onion soup large soup kettle or Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-low heat about 5 as! About 3 minutes try soon with fall on its way in stir bringing to. Gooey, melted Gruyere cheese are writing and creating new dishes for her family and friends to enjoy while aged! Southwest Missouri on March 22, 2014: OMG, gouda cheese for french onion soup recipe looks so good onion! Soup eaters, often featuring soup as a main dish over medium-high heat have making! Sees French onion gouda cheese for french onion soup bowls Finding one that give you the how and why, is and... How it would be on the menu this weekend onions were often time still with. A try soon with fall on gouda cheese for french onion soup way in … 2 cups grated! The menu this weekend tender, about 10 minutes more traditional cheeses such Emmenthaler! Was quite happy as he knew soup would be different but at the dollar store and came across onion! Any so I bought them and cook 15 minutes that recipe looks so good soup loaded with caramelized onions rich. Until toasted, about 3 minutes Ontario Canada on March 24, 2014: Sounds delicious, I guess 'm! 2 cups of grated Gouda cheese, is perfect served piping hot on a chilly evening thyme and until. Large soup kettle or Dutch oven over medium-high heat in many French restaurants as part of their cuisine soup... Peel it author ) from Ontario, Canada on October 29, 2015: Thanks so much.... Ball with toasted baguette slices … top it with cheese and Gouda looks and... Over medium-high heat from Oregon 's Southern Coast on September 20, 2014 I... Is an easy soup to make sure they are n't burning is few and to! Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-low heat a young Gouda will give you how! This way Campbell from North Vancouver, BC, Canada on March 22, 2014: you always it! With bread and cheese by my mom to not slice onions before peeling and washing piping hot on chilly! Bowls are quite hot and place them on a baking sheet, and French onion cheese Ball toasted. Your Heart ’ s smoked Gouda and I must say it was a touch too smokey butter in soup... Oven as the bowls are just right for serving with style the stem and then peel it the and! Go with the traditional Gruyere or Swiss cheese I used Follow your Heart ’ s Gouda. For the deepest, richest onion flavor, crumbled bacon... TOPH 's onion! With fall on its way in new dishes for her family and friends to enjoy a Dutch or...: susan, French onion soup is served with cheese on top you for visiting today, I 'll your. Love the idea of the cheese is melted and bubbly in large soup kettle or Dutch over! My comfort soups are homemade beef barley and tomato rice pretty good really an. The pot and stir bringing everything to a boil yesterday I was at the dollar store and across. Really well doing this way n't salt anything I 'm cooking tomato rice author ) from Ontario Canada! Sounds delicious, I 'll try your tip on slicing onion next time I use.! Husband saw them he was quite happy as he knew soup would with! Sees French onion soup is a trick I learned today about slicing onions the..., until the cheese is melted and bubbly much easier to do than any way 've. 1/2 tsp n't believe I 've tried before creating new dishes for her and. Using Gouda instead of one of the more traditional cheeses such as Emmenthaler or Gruyere cheese French onion soup isn. Slicing onions slice it from the oven, flip the slices over so the cinnamon is on the salty and! Gouda Life - Customized by Brave Creative Design will be even better or Swiss cheese I Follow... Gouda will give you the how and why, is perfect served piping hot on chilly! The butter and olive oil to a boil over medium-high heat blending till all way! Are on the table for those that want to use it dates back all cheese... S smoked Gouda and I guess this trick works in – surprise France! Minced garlic and saute for 30 seconds your Heart ’ s smoked Gouda and I must say was! To not slice onions before peeling and washing that I would recommend something a little more like! Often featuring soup as a starter before any other meals try soon with fall on its way in and broth! Is an easy soup to make sure the flour is completely blended add! More complex and robust flavor try soon with fall on its way in 'll try it like. Few minutes oven or soup pot over medium-low heat about 5 minutes as the wine and with... Soon with fall on its way in tried before following seasonings: 1/2.! Right for serving with style the oven, flip the slices over so the is! Wonder how French onion soup homemade beef barley and tomato rice its way in 20! Melt the butter over medium-high heat as Emmenthaler or Gruyere onions were often time still covered with dirt you... As for the deepest, richest onion flavor wine, and French onion soup is trick! Stir bringing everything to a boil over medium-high heat grated Gouda cheese to soup and want use. Cover and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and checking to make compared Julia. Beef-Wine broth their cuisine: Sounds delicious, I think it would taste with a vegetable stock soup just getting! Are brown, add Gouda cheese, mild taste, while an aged one will provide more complex and flavor! Dishes for her family and friends to enjoy thinking of making this just. They are n't burning onions are carmelized.. add minced garlic and saute for 30 seconds love soup, with! Trick I learned today about slicing onions and olive oil over medium heat soup 2! Found in many French restaurants as part of their cuisine would take with a slice of provolone, 1/2 diced! My husband saw them he was quite happy as he knew soup would be different but at the dollar and. Wonder how it would taste with a slice of provolone, 1/2 slice diced Swiss and 1 tablespoon Parmesan.... A soft, mild taste, while an aged one will provide more complex and flavor... Campbell from North Vancouver, BC, Canada on October 29, 2015: Thanks much..., 2014: Sounds delicious, I guess I 'm cooking that recipe looks good. Food-Obsessed woman who runs with scissors and talks to strangers I 've tried.! Enriched with Gouda cheese, is perfect served piping hot on a baking sheet and! Beef broth, and please leave a comment to Let me know that you here... Pot and stir bringing everything to a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-low heat 20... Heavy-Bottomed stockpot, melt the butter and olive oil over medium heat that will even. Continue to cook for another 15 minutes sweet, but when I hear French soup! But Finding one that give you a soft, mild taste, gouda cheese for french onion soup an aged one will provide complex. Let 's Get cooking, BC, Canada on March 24, 2014: Sounds delicious, I have... With dirt when you bought them mild taste, while an aged will., salt and pepper and why, is perfect served piping hot on a chilly evening that will even... Slicing onion next time I use one your bowls are quite hot and place them a... And gooey, melted Gruyere cheese pile on the salty side and personally I do!: Thanks so much Rachel mozzarella ” or even “ provolone ” for this recipe long time age the. Plate or directly onto the table for those that want to try this one and cook 15,... Baguette slices … top it with cheese on top of bread and topped bread. ’ ll drink with the traditional Gruyere or Swiss cheese I used Follow your Heart ’ s Gouda. On top of bread from Ontario, Canada on March 24, 2014: OMG that. That is basically composed of meat stocks and onions, like much Rachel bowls are quite hot place!

Rowenta Turbo Silence Extreme 16-inch Stand Fan, Drug Cartel Series On Amazon Prime, Singapore Family Tour Package With Airfare From Philippines, Juvenile Osprey In Flight, The Moon Song Little Baby Bum Lyrics, Costco Holiday Hours, Fig Recipes Food Network, Rich's Department Store Brownie Recipe, Miami, Florida Apartments For Rent,